Rice and Barley Side Dish


Ingredients:
2 cups uncooked rice
1 cup instant barley
2 bunches Italian parsley - chopped
3 stalks celery - chopped with leaves
4 cloves garlic – chopped
6 marinated cherry peppers – sliced
1 large sweet onion – chopped
Olive oil

Marinade:

¼ cup olive oil
½ tsp. chili garlic sauce
1 tsp. sesame oil
Juice of ½ lemon
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon teriyaki sauce

Combine uncooked rice and barley in a rice cooker and cook as directed.

Heat a large sauce pan with a drizzle of olive oil and add the garlic, parsley, celery, peppers and onion and sauté until the onion is clear.

Remove the pan from the heat and add the rice and barley, toss until the rice and veggies are completely incorporated.

Place the rice in a large bowl. Pour the marinade over the rice and toss.

This is an excellent side dish and so very tasty!

Enjoy with Lots of Love,

Catherine

Rice and Barley Side Dish on Foodista

Rice and Barley Side Dish
StumbleUpon

22 comments:

  1. What a lovely healthy side! barley just happens to be my favorite grain! Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks and is by reading the ingredients fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone loves barley at my house. This will be a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your barley dish looks wonderful Catherine! I love the teriyaki marinade!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always see barley and rice as separate ingredients, a combination of both sounds something interesting to try out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks yummy. I have a hard time with barley. But this looks good. I guess I don't make it right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a fantastic dish...I am not sure I have seen instant barley so I will have to look for it. But a perfect side dish, or for me a meal.
    Hope you are having a great week

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have some great dishes on here all a must try..
    Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Un piatto di riso semplicemente buonissimo, ottima armonia di profumi, appetitoso nel sapore, ciao.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds delicious. I like the added nutritious benefit of the barley.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes a healthy dish is all we need to feel good ...This one is great !!!

    Kisses,
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  12. Catherine, this sounds wonderful. I need to work more barley into our diet and this would be a great place to start. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the combination of barley and rice - we consumew both happily at our home - but never together! The marinade is a nice twist on my usual olive oil and lemon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Catherine--

    Do you ever run out of recipes?

    Happy Saint Patrick's Day!
    PLU

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was so good, Mama! Perfect side dish!!! Yumm-o!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I found you!! For some reason I had a hard time finding you and your wonderful blog...but I did and I'm a new follower! Thanks for following me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Like your rice+barley with vegetables toss. A good idea worth trying.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Catherine, The barley and rice combination is just marvelous! I really like the nutty flavor barley produces. Must be awesome with the rice and peppers!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do enjoy barley, Catherine, yet never have cooked with it. Thanks for this delicious recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i'd enjoy this as a main dish not just as a side. Have to look for instant barley, haven't seen/heard until now.
    thanks for sharing Catherine, hope you'll have a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice Recipe!Thats very Healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The yummiest sidedish in the world!thx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by Living the Gourmet. Your comments are always appreciated.

Have a blessed day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover