Pages

t r a n s l a t e

~ Prune Bread ~



Adapted from:  The New McCall’s Cookbook

Ingredients:

1 ½ cups dried prunes – without pits
2 cups all-purpose flour
¾ cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 egg
2 tablespoons melted shortening

In medium saucepan, combine prunes with 1 ½ cups water, bring to boiling.  Reduce heat, and simmer, covered.  10 minutes.

Preheat oven 350 degrees.

Sift flour with sugar, baking soda and salt; set aside.

Drain prunes, reserving liquid.  Chop prunes or place in food processor and give a few good chops.

Add to reserved liquid, and measure.  Add water if needed to make 2 cups. 

In a large bowl combine egg and shortening:  with electric mixer at medium speed, beat well.  Add prune mixture:  beat until well blended.

Add flour mixture:  beat at low speed just until smooth.  Turn into prepared pan.

Bake 50-60 minutes, or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.

Let cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes.  Remove from pan:  cool completely on rack.  Wrap in plastic film or foil, and refrigerate overnight before slicing.

This is a delicious recipe from one of my mother’s old cookbooks. Aren’t those the best recipes, I think they are.   This is perfect for breakfast with cream cheese and jam.

With Love,
Catherine
xo

StumbleUpon

14 comments:

  1. Nice idea!!!
    Kisses my fried!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually really love prunes, I think they get a bad rep and more people should try them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a prune lover. Do you think that I could substitute butter for the shortening? Hope you're having a good week. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is yummy Catherine! And very inventive too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I have only one recipe of a baked good that actually calls for prunes, however I feel that they do lend a lot of tasty flavor and texture to cakes and muffins. It does look delicious and I love these style of cakes over the layer ones. Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love prunes, but I have to admit, never had in a cake! How delicious it sounds! Hi Catherine, Have missed visiting...stopping by to say hello and wish you a wonderful evening! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so good. I'm a prune/plum fan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I would never have thought to do this with prunes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mom's recipes????? Of course these are the best... These are so comforting... and uses lots of pantry ingredients! This bread looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So simple,so tasteful!It looks amazing!Blessings,dear!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm one of those people who does really enjoy prunes and I know this cake has got to be delicious, especially since it's an old family recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Catherine, This looks so gorgeous and I would love a piece right now! I love prune fillings…I will have to give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by Living the Gourmet. Your comments are always appreciated.

Have a blessed day!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover