Pages

t r a n s l a t e

A Springtime Feast


Rosemary & Orange Roast Chicken

Ingredients:

1 fresh whole chicken - 5-6 lbs.
2 sticks carrots - chopped
2 stalks celery - chopped
2 tablespoons fresh chopped Rosemary
3 tablespoons olive oil
Juice of ½ orange
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon dried oregano
S&P to taste
2 cups water


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large roasting pan, toss carrots and celery along with the chicken giblets.

In a small glass bowl, combine rosemary, olive oil, orange juice, garlic, oregano, salt & pepper.  Whisk together and rub all over the chicken, under the skin and inside the cavity.

Sprinkle with more salt and pepper.  Pour about 2 cups of water into the roasting pan and place in the oven.

Bake until the chicken is golden and juices run clear, approximately 40 minutes.

**NOTE: check periodically to make sure the broth has not evaporated.  If necessary, add another 1-2 cups of water.


Acini de pepe is a fabulous alternative to Arborio rice.

We had some acini leftover in the cabinet and I figured it would serve as a nice side dish to the chicken.

I found a few recipes online.  Some called for mushrooms and peas, others even had bits of craisins in them.  Unfortunately, I was out of all three ingredients.  Time to improvise...

I opted for a fresh tomato and an apple.  Savory with a subtle hint of sweetness.  Then Mom thought to toss in some chunks of feta.  Perfect.  Savory, sweet and a little salty.  All in all, I could not have asked for a better springtime dinner.

Apple & Feta Risotto

2 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons butter
½ onion - chopped
½ teaspoon black pepper
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons parsley - chopped
1 apple - peeled, cored and chopped
1 small vine ripe tomato - chopped
2 cups acini de pepe
¼ cup white wine
Feta cheese

In a small saucepan bring chicken broth to a simmer.

In a cast iron pan, melt butter down.  Saute onion until it turns clear.

Add cracked black pepper, garlic, and parsley.  Toss.  Add the apple and tomato.

Add acini de pepe. Slowly add the white wine and stir until the acini absorbs it.

Slowly ladle the chicken broth into the pan.  Stir in between until the broth is absorbed.

Once the acini has absorbed all the broth and the texture turned slightly creamy, remove from heat.

Transfer to a serving dish and add crumbled feta.  Give one final toss and serve.

Enjoy!

Toodles,
Tammy<3
StumbleUpon

25 comments:

  1. What a lovely meal this would be. You two do the most amazing dishes. Thank you for sharing them with the rest of us.

    Have a fabulous day. ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy, this is truly a feast! Wow, you have me covered - all the little details, you've got here! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deliciosa, comida, te ha quedado estupenda, me gusta, besos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, this sounds so delicious! I love the different photos during the making of the recipe, too. And, I must not forget to mention that yummy looking strawberry shortcake! I love strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful and elegant meal. I love the seasonings in your rub and the apples & risotto sounds amazing! Thank you for sharing on the Four Seasons Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A good roasted chicken is a good meal no matter what time of year- beautiful. The side dish is great too.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  7. Se ve muy rico el pollo bien condimentado me encanta,abrazos

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like it roasted perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tammy, That roasted chicken is just gorgeous! Lots going on with the rosemary and orange...and I love roasted chicken. As for the acini de pepe...its a new one for me. I'd never heard of it before. Now I'll have to do a little research and try it out. The apple and feta together sounds great! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the combination of orange and rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Tammy, I see you have been busy in the kitchen! What a luscious looking bird. I love rosemary with chicken. It gives it such a wonderful flavor. I think we both had orange juice on our mind. I also have used orange juice this week for my blog post with oranges. But it really gives that chicken an awesome taste. Love your Risotto made with Acini de pepe. Great side dish for sure. My mom used to use Acini de pepe in her beef soup. I love all the small pastas..It is fun to eat and they seem to go with so many things...Thanks for sharing your recipes...Blessings on a great weekend! Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rosted at its best!
    :) ela@GrayApron

    ReplyDelete
  13. The perfect roast chicken I was looking for! I hope my hubby loves it. Thanks for the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very scrumptious roast :)!! It is a feast indedd :)!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rosemary & Orange? This chicken really must have been very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do love rosemary and the recipe below with the strawberries is very unusual, acini de pepe is new to me as well

    ReplyDelete
  17. The roast chicken looks perfect. And I'm not familiar with acini de pepe, but it looks like a wonderful side dish.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely chicken recipe! Rosemary bring so much flavors to the roast.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such a delicious meal! A beautiful roasted chicken with fruity risotto, just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful chicken... almost to pretty to eat :)
    I would love for you to share this at my t.g.i.f. linky party :) Have great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Roast chicken is pretty much standard fare for Sunday night dinner round here - this version looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So happy to see you at The Yuck Stops Here link party again this week! What yummy things you always share with us! I hope you'll drop by next week, you can find next week's party at http://mommasangelbaby.com/?p=2463. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Tammy,
    I would just love to sit down to this awesome Springtime Feast, I would love every bite!! Thanks so much for sharing this great recipe with Full Plate Thursday and have a great week!
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by Living the Gourmet. Your comments are always appreciated.

Have a blessed day!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover